Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a major digital marketing strategy. This strategy has given birth to two major pillars of digital marketing – Social Media Optimisation and Social Media Marketing, both of which are highly impacting the digital marketing industry today. Both work hand-in-hand to reach the same destination – to promote a brand, a product, or a service. People curious about the terms in a digital marketing course online often need clarification about the motive, explanation, and impression of practices by looking at the similarity in the terminology. Note that these are two different processes altogether, differing in their purpose, meaning, impact, strategies, and even tools upon which they are built. In this article, let us focus on understanding how these two processes differ from each other.
How Are SMM and SEO Different?
If you wish to learn digital marketing courses online, you must understand how SMM and SEO are different from each other.
SMO is an on-site activity and a more extensive process. This involves the simplification of a blog or the content of a website and its pages, refining the website’s interface and usability to promote the content of the website and make it more compelling to the visitors to share across various social media platforms. The streamlining and optimization of the web page content are done in a manner such that when the pages are shared on social media platforms, it attracts traffic to the website.
SMM is the sharing of social media campaigns, social media customer services, branding activities, and posting updates on social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, Twitter, and Tumblr. With the intention of promoting the brand, its services, or its products, the content is shared in the form of advertisements, videos, blogs, images, etc. SMM involves off-site activities, such as participating in groups and communities in the platforms to directly interact with the customers with the intention of promoting and increasing the visibility of a brand. SMM is a post activity after SMO is completed. Let us look at the other parameters that set them apart
The difference on the Basis of Parameters
Here are the different parameters on the basis of which SMM differs from SMO:
- Scope: SMM is off-site oriented, meaning that the activities take place outside the website. SMO is oriented with the website.
- Platform: SMM activities take place on social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube, and so on. SMO can take place on the website or at any location meant to increase the flow of traffic.
- Process: Blogs, advertisements, videos, images, etc., are means used in SMM through which the brands gain visibility. In SMO, the content of the web pages is modified and optimized in a manner so that the audience finds it compelling and shares it across various social media platforms
- Foundation: SMM was introduced by Peter “Pistol Pete” Rollock on July 3, 1986. SMO was introduced by Rohit Bhargava in 2006.
- Precedence: SMO takes first. SMM takes place after SMO is completed.
Here are some of the important SMO techniques:
- Social widgets: Adding social widgets and badges to the webpages enable viewers to easily share the content on their preferred social media platforms. Your audience can pick and choose any channel that they want for sharing the content.
- Sharing buttons in social media platforms: Installing sharing buttons on your content at a place where it is easily noticeable allows people to share the content they like.
- Initiating social sign-ins: Today most netizens have a presence on at least one social media platform. Initiating social sign-ins benefits the business in that it allows the users to engage with more connections on social media platforms as compared to users who do not have a social media account. Hence, the brand gets more visibility. The more the mutual interaction on social media through posts or stories, the more the chances for customers to know about your brand. Besides, it benefits you from the SEO perspective as search engines see stories like votes
- Regularly creating content: In addition to creating social widgets, creating great content on social media with consistency keeps the social media optimization process functional for the long haul. This involves uploading fresh content on the website and social media profiles regularly and readying them for search optimization.
- As important as it is to create content regularly, it is equally important to share them regularly on various platforms. You can create various forms of the same content and share it across different platforms; however, you have to ensure that the medium is one that adds value to your business.
- Optimizing social pages: Optimize your social media profiles delivering proper information about your business, including things such as the URL, address, and logo. Each social media platform has its own search process, optimizing which will increase the visibility.
Some important SMM techniques are given below:
- Formulating the structure = First, determine the content type and target platform to promote the products and services, and set your goal.
- Draft content and tool usage = Draft the content; for example, plan the script plan and fix a schedule to put it on social media platforms. It is compulsory to use social media tools to analyze the customer’s user experience so that you can understand the changes that must be implemented for the people to like your products and services.
- Analyze reports = Analyze your service reach reports and the engagement of your consumers with the content using competition analysis tools. These will help you to monitor and analyze competitor activities and strategies to retain existing customers and attract new ones.
- Ad buying = Buying ads is a great way to enhance brand promotion. Using advertisements will take the business one step further.
We hope you found this article helpful. If you plan to learn a digital marketing course online, clarifying your queries about the two significant concepts of digital marketing and SEO was our motive.